Monday, September 26, 2011

Goals vs. Instruction

I'm reading an article entitled "Teaching and Learning Argumentative Reading and Writing: A Review of Research" by Newell et al, and I (really quickly) wanted to record a bit of research they discussed:

When having students write argumentative essays, several studies found that students with GOALS wrote better essays than students without goals; for example, half the kids had specific goals to cater towards their audience, or to refute the counterargument, etc. and the other half had no specific goal. They also found (separate study) that students with more elaborate, specific goals wrote better than students with vague goals.

Finally, a study was done where half students made goals and the other half did not; out of the students who made goals, half were given instruction on how to formulate an argument, and the other half were not. The goals group, as a whole, did better than the no-goals group. There was no difference between the students who received instruction and those who did not.

I've read several studies now for this class that concluded that instruction doesn't really make much of a difference. One of the other articles with this theme found that students who practiced collaborative reasoning (kind of like the Socratic Seminars we did at Rudy) performed BETTER on an argumentative essay than students who practiced collaborative reasoning AND had direct argumentation instruction. (Well, kinda: it's complicated. The CR only kids had more ideas, and more and better quality arguments. The CR + lesson kids had fewer ideas, but their arguments were more organized. What's the compromise that fosters tons of great ideas AND organization?)

So basically, if you teach it, they won't learn. If you let them think it through, they will learn.

3 comments:

  1. That's interesting (sorry--I know you hate that word!). I guess that we've always known that it's important to set goals, but seeing evidence to support that is reassuring. I don't think you can completely discount the value of instruction because I suppose at some level, SOME instruction needs to happen about the importance of setting goals, or how to develop elaborate, specific goals--or maybe that's not considered instruction. Personally, I've been terrible at helping students develop their goals--maybe because it's not something I HAVE to teach, or maybe it's because I'm not so great at setting my own.
    Also, I wonder how the argumentative essays were measured--what made a "better" essay? If the students' goals were aligned with how the essay was measured, would that automatically make it better? (I don't know if that last part made sense. It's 8:21 and my thoughts are on getting my butt ready for 1st period.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah -- every time I read about these studies, I question their methods and tests (and the methodology section of each article isn't as thorough as I would like it to be).

    Pete should be proud of us...never trust data!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never trust data! Corollary: never, never trust educational research! You can't conclude direct instruction is bad, it totally depends on the student. The real takeaway is that you might be able to increase performance with some slight of hand. Students with a goal probably had more motivation on the assignment. Tell students one thing to make them improve in something else. I'm a firm believer in lying to students for the sake of learning :)

    ReplyDelete