Tuesday, November 8, 2011

registering for classes

I asked Brian to help me narrow down my list of classes to register for. After we looked at a few and read some descriptions, he said something to the effect of, "So, are all the classes about how minorities? I mean, that's really valuable so you won't be a racist teacher, but they're not teaching you how to be a teacher!"

Although I really appreciate how liberal and progressive U of I is, I do wish that there were more practical courses. From my perspective, I'm pretty good at not being racist and recognizing the advantages I have as a white, middle-class, raised-Christian female. I want some strategies and discussions with other teachers about why this might work and the flaws in that. I suppose that's why I think I'd rather teach at a community college or PDS instead of a university.

No comments:

Post a Comment